BSGAR is pleased to announce the launch of its pilot mentoring program, run with the help of Academy of Medical Sciences (AoMS). The aim of this program is to provide a platform for junior BSGAR members / young consultants for career and developmental support, by pairing them with a senior BSGAR member. The program is open to all BSGAR members, but we particularly encourage applications from women and people from under-represented groups.
We also particularly encourage women and people from underrepresented groups to sign up as mentors.
BSGAR is adopting the AoMS “light touch” approach to mentoring – encouraging the developmental mentoring style, using the “OSCAR” model (information will be provided). Mentor-Mentees could expect to meet once or twice a year. We anticipate the mentoring period to last about a year, but individual pairings may decide to extend beyond this, meeting more or less frequently.
For the pilot scheme we are anticipating 1 mentee to 1 mentor. In the future, mentors can decide on how many mentees they support. Training and resource for both mentors and mentees will be available to ensure a successful mentorship experience. BSGAR will adopt a “no blame divorce” principle – if the relationship is not working for either party, we will be happy to re-match the mentee. Mentors will be gratefully acknowledged by the BSGAR at the AGM annually.
Reasons to mentor
We are certain many of you will enthusiastically sign up to be mentors to our most junior members. For those who need a little more encouragement, here are a few reasons to mentor:
1. You are supporting a future leader
2. Those who mentor leaves a legacy
3. You build networks and become part of the mentoring community
4. You gain insights into the experiences and issues facing young radiologists today
5. Mentoring gives you opportunities for self-reflection
6. You are encouraged to practise solutions-based thinking
7. You develop your communication and coaching skills
BSGAR Mentoring Pilot Scheme - Stages
1. Call for Mentors (Now open) - click here to apply
2. Call for Mentees
3. Successful mentees pick 3 potential mentors
4. Pairing process: BSGAR approach Mentors with Mentee nomination and information; Mentors decide to accept / pass
5. Matched Mentor-Mentee notified
6. Mentoring Training (virtual) for both mentees and mentors; 6 month meet-up at BSGAR 2022
7. Evaluation at the end of 12 months.
BSGAR is looking forward and grateful to many senior members signing up to this Pilot Mentoring Scheme as a mentor. Please click here to complete the form if you would like to apply to become a mentor . The application window will stay open until Friday 18th June 2021. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions about this program. Thank you and good luck!